Feb 15, 2011

Scatterbrain

Today was one of those days where it seems like I'm walking around still half asleep! We had a great morning, went to zumba, Kamuela got the oil and filters done on the car, we got groceries, things were going so well. Then he left for work and so did most of my energy! Ka'ihi wasn't feeling well yesterday and took a 2 hour nap today and I should have napped with him except I was supposed to clean my house.

Oh yeah, that's another thing, I seriously clean my house almost every day, but on the days I DON'T clean, everyone needs to use my bathroom!!!! I am MORTIFIED when I hear the "can I use your bathroom" and wish I had a super power to freeze everything so I can rush in there and clean it. 

Anyway. My laundry is in desperate need of my attention. And Beth even came over to help watch the boy while I lug loads of lovely dirty clothes up and down the stairs. (Did I mention Ka'ihi threw up all over everything? Yup. Nice.) So I went over to the bank to get some quarters. $50 worth in fact. 

This is 'regular Roxy', organized, efficient, multi-tasking, blah blah blah. 

Cue 'Mama Brain'. Too busy talking, puts 5 rolls of quarters in the cupholder of my baby's stroller.

Bad call. I should have know they would fall out.

Walking along blissfully, thinking all is well, get home, can't find the quarters.

My

Heart

Stopped

I knew they were gone. I retraced my steps all the way back to the bank (thank goodness for Beth, she watched the boy while I went), asked the bank and Yogurtland if anyone had turned them in (I'm pretty sure they laughed at me, after all this is a college campus, everyone needs quarters to do their laundry). 

No luck.

I was so severely humbled. All the times Kamuela's lost things and I gave him a hard time came flooding back.  I have never been so irresponsible! Woe is me. Kamuela, on the other hand, was bummed but in keeping with his general attitude, said it was no big deal, no use crying over it, lets hope it went to someone who really needed it more than us, and now he has something to hold over me the next time he loses something. Great.

So then I came home and cleaned furiously to somehow make up for having thrown $50 away. And when my mind is on something, Ka'ihi can tell, because then he starts getting into EVERYTHING (I think partly to get my attention). It was a long. as. night. At least he is cute. And funny. And gives great hugs. And at least we got to watch Glee together and we danced to the Bieber bit.

It's days like today I'm grateful that right now I only have one child to worry about. It's days like today that make me wonder if I'll every be ready for more. But thankfully these days don't occur too often, so the average day is quite a bit better than this one. 

Bigger picture. I am not alone. I may laugh about this in the (very distant) future. Life is wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. I can imagine your anguish at losing $50 worth of quarters!! YIKES! You poor thing! But I'm proud of Kamuela for his supportive reaction (instead of getting NUTS like some husbands might do). I'll have to save some of the quarters I accumulate from recycling to contribute to your laundry money.

    I love your go-with-the-flow, philosophical attitudes. XOXO

    ReplyDelete